Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting modem to dial automatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

farley99

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
US
When i connect to the internet i have
1. click control panel
2. click internet config wizard
3. click on zcloud
4. click on activate

Is there a way to get this automatically when i open netscape or maybe a button i only have to click once?

I use redhat and KDE

I have cable, so I don't run into that problem.

When I was using modem, I used KPPP dialer. With kppp you can create a shortcut on the desktop that will automatically connect to an account that you have configured with the kppp dialer. Then, add a switch to the connection name when executing kppp, e.g. kppp -c myConnection. This will automatically dial when clicked on. If your connection name has spaces, then put it in quotes, e.g. "my Connection". (make sure that the connection name used with the switch matches the connection name you have configured in kppp).

This will still not solve the problem with dial on demand, but at least will do an auto dial. A dial on demand will involve some creation/editing of files in /etc/ppp/...,which I couldn't tell you off the top of my head.

Try that out and post back.

Sorry, I wrote that post really quickly. After reading it I realize it may not make that much sense.

Here are the steps just in case you didn't quite catch it:

1. Right click on the desktop and select 'create new' > 'Link to application'
2. Call it whatever you want, then click on the 'execute' tab and type in kppp -c name_of _connection.

The connection name is the name of the connection you have configured with kppp dialer.

Hope it helps :)

I want to be able to test how old a file is in a script.

I can test if one file is older than another, but not if one file is older than say 5 days.

Does anybody know how to do this?

ecmjs- why did you post it in this post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back