Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Media is Write Protected Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradhiggins

Technical User
Sep 24, 2003
Hey all,

I have just put in a new HP VS80 DLT tape into our server as our old Quantum had died.

If I use new blank media (SONY DLT IV), everything works out fine.

However if I insert a tape I had a previous backup on from the other tape drive, it reads the medai label fine, but if I try to format, or erase the tape, I get a media is write-protected pop up message.

I have checked the media and it is not write protected, so does anyone know why I am getting this message? And how to fix it?

Cheers

Brad

I take it your old tapes are also DLT IV ? Sometimes this error can occur if you insert an incorrect tape into a drive (such as a DLT IV tape into an SDLT drive).

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Sounds like two different models and the newer one is read only compatible with the older one.

I've had same problems.
8 tapes autoloader DLT IV + windows 2003 + arcserve 11

Tapes used to seem write protected. Even using new tapes result was: first back-up ok, second/third/forth fail.

The problem was:
DLT device failed and damaged tapes. Therefore it was possible to perform just one back-up and then tapes were broken.

We lost many tapes for that reason.

We asked server's maintenance to replace both DLT device and tapes. They did it and now it is fine.

Found this on the Quantum site, perhaps it will help.

Media written in an incompatible format must be degaussed before it can be written to by a Benchmark DLT1 tape drive. Simply erasing the media in its original tape drive is not the same as degaussing, as the format itself will still be resident on the media. It is critical to degauss DLTtape™IV media thoroughly to eliminate all residual data. Although media that is inadequately degaussed may still be accepted by the DLT1, residual data will likely cause poor performance and high error rates.

The primary component of magnetic media that affects degaussing is “coercivity”. Coercivity is measured in ‘Oersteds’, and is the measure of how easily the media is magnetized, or de-magnetized. Media with higher coercivity ratings allow much higher data capacities, and require more magnetic energy to de-magnetize the media.

While most older magnetic media technologies have coercivity ratings of well below 750 Oersteds, and many of today’s technologies are rated up to 1500 Oersteds, DLTtape™IV media is rated at 1850 Oersteds. The degaussing equipment being used must have an Oersted rating at least equal to, and preferably two to three times greater than, the coercivity rating of the media being degaussed. For this reason, degaussing equipment that is designed for lower coercivity tapes, or was built before the new high coercivity tapes were introduced, can not be expected to degauss DLTtape™IV media effectively. Many manufacturers of degaussers do not specify the exact Oersted rating of their equipment. Rather, they specify what equipment to use for specific media types. Specific procedures for degaussing your media should be included with your degaussing equipment.

David>

Good explanation !

One star for you.

Thank you.
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back