Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting LEAP and Wake-on-Lan working Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

woter324

Technical User
Jan 26, 2007
GB
I thought I'd share a little tail for anyone with similar issues.

My goal was to get my Dell D420 laptop configured with Wake-on-lan (WOL) over the wireless NIC (WLAN, Wi-Fi). The D420 has an Intel 3945ABG card installed. I installed Windows 7 on the laptop some time ago.

Dell do not provide Win 7 drivers for the D420.

I was running Intel PROset 13.5 drivers, however, Intel have revoked WOL support in their newest drivers (since 12.4 I beleive). Not that I can find any official doco suggesting this. The card spec suggests it's still supported. Under the Power Mangagement tab, "Allow this device to wake the computer" is greyed out.

To get the WOL working, I used device manager to uninstall and delete 13.5. Refreshing the hardware list, I was left with 12.0. (possibly the default driver that comes with Win 7). This allowed me to tick the "Allow this device to wake the computer" option.

I had now removed support for Cisco LEAP. To enable this, I downloaded and installed the PROSet vista driver from Dell's website (here).

So hopefully this may help others. My Googling wasn't very fruitful. Hopefully other will find this.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back