Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting into Business Intelligence/Data Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwirky

MIS
Apr 22, 2010
AU
Hi,
I have been working as a Business Systems Administrator for the past 3 and a half years or so, in Melbourne, Australia, and was hoping to move into Business Intelligence/Data Analysis.
I have applied for about 25 roles in the past 3 months or so, however have been unsuccessful in even getting interviews. I apply for the roles which I have some skills in, and I did not think I was overreaching.
My question is to anyone in this field; what skills are an absolute must to get into this? Is age a barrier (I am approaching my 40's and am female)?
Any advise would be helpful as I am worried that this is simply not a possibility.
Thanks.

The fact that you are not even getting interviews (did you get any responses at all - inquiries by e-mail, phone calls?), might point to the fact that something is wrong with your resume and the way you present your skills and not necessarily with your skill set as such (which could also be the factor, though).

There was time in my career when I was not getting interviews in the area where I was absolutely skilled and experienced – but apparently, I was not presenting it correctly, and my resume sent the wrong message. At least that what was said to me by one knowledgeable person who looked at my resume back then. He said that he doesn’t have a job for me, but gave me some resume advice instead. I followed it – and started to get calls and interviews. Then the was another one, a recruiter, who helped me tailor my resume to be understood by recruiters, not only by hiring managers. This step added even more “score points” to it. So it wouldn’t hurt to show your resume to someone in the field and get some advice.

On the other hand, it is always not easy to get into a relatively new (for you) field, with no or little related experience, especially if you are not a fresh college graduate. Most recruiters and hiring managers usually think that you are not young enough to agree to a low-paying entry level position, and not experienced enough for a more advanced position, and they can not or not willing to offer you higher salary they think you would want. That barrier is hard to break; but not totally impossible with a fine-tuned resume and a lot of patience.

Well, Business Intelligence/Data Analysis is a broad category. Within that category, you have people who specialize in data modeling, people who specialize in ETL, and people who specialize in report writing. Then there are associated roles such as project managers, B.I. support staff, and data analysts. Some companies with smaller B.I. staffs will roll the data modeling, ETL and report writing into a single role.

The easiest path would be to obtain relevant skills at your current employer. Systems Administrators are loosely related to DBAs. Would your current employer be willing to allow you to learn and take on some DBA tasks? Would your current employer allow you to learn to use reporting software to help enhance your individual department?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back