Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting +/- icons & lines in explorer while keeping Aero theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2003
GB
I asked this in the Vista forum in Jan last year (see thread1583-1527607), and it seemed that you could only do it in Windows 7.

Well, I've now taken the plunge and upgraded to Windows 7, and find that the advice given doesn't work at all.

Not showing the dotted lines, making it really hard for me to visually see complex nested folder structures at a glance, is so very annoying.

Is there really no way to get these back while still keeping the transparent Aero theme?

Having the arrows not fade out would be a bonus... but really I can't live without my dotted lines.

Thanks!

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

From Help and Support comes this information.

Change navigation pane settings

In an open window, click Organize, and then click Folder and search options.

In the Folder Options dialog box, click the General tab, and then do one or both of the following:

To show all the folders on your computer in the navigation pane, including your personal folder, select the Show all folders check box, and then click OK.

To automatically expand the navigation pane to the folder that's selected in the folder window, select the Automatically expand to current folder check box, and then click OK.

Tip
You can quickly expand the navigation pane to the current location you are navigated to by pressing Ctrl+Shift+E."

Some other bits and pieces.

Highlighting some folder in the Navigation Pane keeps the Arrows visible.

Unfortunately I never saw any dotted lines, or + or - signs, while playing around. Although looking at the Folder structure in the Registry via Regedit shows your allusive dotted lines, so Windows 7 must know something about them?

Something that bothers me about W7!
thread1726-1575331

Hi Dan, welcome to the W7 Explorer haters club.

I also have tried to work with it but had only limited success and still prefer the old explorer.

So what I did is publish the XP Mode version of explorer.exe as an application accessible via a shortcut on the W7 desktop. Now I can browse both the XPmode drives as well as all drives and shares accessible to the W7 machine.
That works for me.

The only trick re publishing XP Explorer is it has to be removed from the VPCAppExcludeList in the XP mode registry (under HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version/Virtual Machine). Once you do that you can publish it like any other XP App.

Jock

Well, in the end, I installed Classic Shell and now I've got my -/+ symbols and dotted lines back, all within the aero theme (using the real Win 7 Explorer).

I've spent the best part of a day reading up about this, and there are many, many people who want this back. Why MS decided to remove it is beyond me.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back