Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting +/- icons & lines in explorer while keeping Aero theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2003
GB
I've started to become more familiar with Vista in the 7 weeks I've been using it at work, and have managed to get over most differences between it and XP.

One thing I'd like to change is the explorer folder view. In XP, there were +/- icons for expanding and collapsing folders, and dotted lines to make it really easy to see the levels in a complex folder layout.

With the Aero theme, I get no lines, and arrows that disappear when you're not hovered over them (how annoying is that!)

Is there any way of getting back to the +/- signs and lines while still keeping the Aero theme?

At very least, is there any way of turning off the annoying fade, so that the arrows are always visible?

I've searched around, but all I can find are suggestions to switch back to the 'classic' theme - but that's not what I want to do.

I'm up for registry tweaks or settings or even a custom Aero theme if someone knows of one.

Thanks,

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Anything in the Visual Effects from under the Seatings of Performance Tab in Advanced System Settings? There are a couple of Fade settings to play with.

How to change the arrow icon back to +/-:

open the aero.theme file found in the C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder with NOTEPAD!!!

then change the following subsection from:
Code:
[VisualStyles]
Path=%ResourceDir%\Themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles
ColorStyle=NormalColor
Size=NormalSize
ColorizationColor=0x45409efe
Transparency=1

to

Code:
[VisualStyles]
Path=%ResourceDir%\Themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles
[b]ColorStyle=@themeui.dll,-854[/b]
Size=NormalSize
ColorizationColor=0x45409efe
Transparency=1

then save it out to your USER FOLDER (the Themes folder is a protected area, unless you have UAC turned off) as AERO2.THEME, and then double click it...

PS: it worked for me on W7even, so it should also work on Vista...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Sorry, there Dan... The theme styles are way more restrictive in Vista, and all the research on the subject so far, have been a let down...

it is possible to change the theme, but would require the change (hexediting) of 3 system files, and editing the AERO style (which I am not quite adept in at present, still reading into it)...

I still am baffled why it would work on 7 and not on Vista...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Did anyone try placing the created file in the following folder after changing any necessary access permissions?

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back