Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting field value from table that is not open

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick66

Vendor
Sep 25, 2001
US
Please help.

I am trying to get grab a field from a table onto a report, but the table is not open. I tried to use GETFIELD, but the values were not correct. Is there any other options to take?

Rick

You will either have to know the name of the field in advance, or open the table either using standar commands or low level io to get it. GETFIELD isn't a native Fox function. Did you mean GETFILE()?

Dave S.

If you don't know already, I am not a programmer, so please be patient with me.

I do know what field name that I need, along with the table name. My GetField expression was this: GETFIELD('WOSEQ','STATUS','WO_NO',WO_NO)

According to my knowledge, this is grabbing the field name STATUS from the table WOSEQ using the tag of WO_NO. When I used this expression on the report, results were what I needed, but onced I compare the results with that of the tables' they were incorrect. I am wondering if I need some sort of SEEK statement?

Thanks in advance.
Rick

If patience is a virtue, then I'm a slut. :) Not really, I can be patient.
Anyway, I'm a little confused here. Like I said, GETFIELD isn't a native Fox function but it appears to be a DAO function. Are you using VB or something other than Fox to generate reports? Could you paste a code sample here so we can look at it?
Whether using DAO or not, is it possible the data was changed by another user in the time you generated the report and went back and reviewed it?

Dave S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back