Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Error in Backup program 'Warning "TinaK"?Top of Infor....' 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
When I back up the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" from "Backup Exec" I get the following Error
-----------------------------
Warning "TinaK"?Top of Informaiton Store?FailedMail?Returned mail: User unknown" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify
-----------------------------
then I get a duplicate meesage right ater it,
so it happens twice in a row.

this is causing a failed status in the backup Log file

How can I find this file and delete??

TIA DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

Hi Doug,
I had a similar problem (using Veritas Backup Exec). To correct this I went into the backup job properties, and viewed the selections. I then went into the Exchange Mailboxes, found the users mailbox which produced the error (in your case, TinaK's mailbox), and clicked on the folder Top of Information Store. Once there, I found the folder that contained the corrupt email (it should give you the email topic somewhere in the error message..something to identify the problem email) and de-selected the email for backup. That way, the backup will skip this corrupt email and you should get a succesfull backup.
I hope this helps! :)

Lauren

Sorry I don't follow
you said:
I then went into the Exchange Mailboxes, found the users mailbox which produced the error (in your case, TinaK's mailbox), and clicked on the folder Top of Information Store

Am I finding TinaK's mailbox in Windows Explorer or In Exchange Server program
DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

You would be looking for TinaK's mailbox within your backup job definitions/selections in your Backup software. (Not Explorer or Exchange) You are basically editing your backup job to exclude this corrupt file. This is assuming that you have a scheduled backup that you have defined what items on your server is being backed up... Does this help?

Lauren

I have been having the same issue. I will try BSUgirl's tip. Thank you.

Is it safe to say that we can clean up thesse corrupt files though? Should we use a clean up utility to do so? I don't think that is a long term answer.

TIA all

Matthew

MQCarpenter:

I have not looked into what can clean up these corrupt files. I agree that this isn't a long term answer, just a fix. If you get several corrupt emails per day causing your backup job to fail, you definitely would need to find a better solution. I asked another network tech what would cause this and how I could get rid of it and he could not give me a reason why I'm getting these corrupt emails. He also didn't offer a solution to delete them or tell me how to get rid of them permanently. He made it sound like it was not a big deal and that it wouldn't cause a problem. I don't like relying on that, but maybe I'm just overly cautious.

I will check around, but if you find a good clean-up utility or the cause of this problem, please let me know. I used to have these corrupt emails just every so often, now I get them every couple of days (and only on the same couple of users I might add...).
Hope my tip for excluding the corrupt emails in your backup job helped for the time being! :)

Lauren

Yes it did Lauren thank you. I will let you know if I find another solution. Thanks!

Matthew

Error: WARNING: &quot;<MAILBOX>?Top of Information Store?Inbox? <FILE_NAME>&quot; is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

When backing up single mailboxes Backup Exec reports some of the messages with attachments as corrupt. The file attachments can be checked out not to be corrupt, i.e. they can be opened, viewed and executed. The attached files are a variety of extensions: ppt,zip, txt, doc....

The mail messages and the attachments are being backed up and are fully restoreable. The error is generated by a failure to verify the attached files, as Backup Exec also reports in the job log. This does not in any wasy affect the online backup done of the Information Store(s).

This has been fixed the the release of Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 v8.6 Build 3808 and can be obtained from
That is where I obtained this information from as well.

Drew

HI!

I think that the answer above me clears it, but anyway, you should also try to restart Exchange server once in a while (weekly/monthly) and run the Exchange utilities like ESEUTIL as a scheduled maintanance routine, and for troubleshooting problems like you have.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

I have Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 v8.6 Build 3808 but the job log still reports a failure with this error.

However, I have not run the ESEUTIL ever, should I do this and will it resolve this issue? What are the possible downsides to running this ESEUTIL?

A.

**Use this at your own risk***

Mostly this error occurs with HTML based messages. Backup Exec can't read HTML messages reliably and so marks it corrupt and moves on. When you check the email in question that Exec says is corrupt the message is fine.

To make backup exec pass over this message even though it marks it as corrupt, you have to do a registry entry. After you do the entry Backup Exec will mark the job as successful even though it marks it as corrupt. Only caveat is you have to view the logs regularly so you don't dismiss corruptions, you check them for accuracy. If the email messages with no problems things are fine.

Anyways the URL to fix this is:

It fixes the corrupt problem and doesn't fail the job. You have to make doubly sure that the email server is alright. Several of my techs have patched with this issue and we make every attempt our exchange servers are healthy.

Another fix is to turn off Mcafee Groupshield when backups run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back