Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Desperate - Any Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoondy

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2002
AU
Hi All,

Just looking for some help on a problem that has been troubling us for quite some time. We are running Metaframe XPE FR2 providing users with a Windows Desktop via a published application. We are also using roaming profiles, these profiles are stored on a Netware 5.1 server.

The problem is intermittent and happens on both thin and fat clients. We have some Neoware clients and some PC's, but the problem doesn't seem to be isolated to either.

The problem is when a user logs in, all the icons on the desktop flash (appear then dissappear) continuously. We also provide a NAL window for the launching of apps. This window doesn't seem to be affected, only the icons on the desktop. We have found a workaround for the problem. That is to replace the NTUSER.DAT file with one from a known good profile. So it would seem that the NTUSER.DAT file is getting corrupted at some point, possibly while copying the profile from the netware server???

Any help/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Adam

I haven't tried that. I couldn't see how it could make a difference though. What is your theory behind moving it to an NT server. I could try it but it will require a lot of setting up.

Your post did say "any" suggestions :eek:)

We encountered a flashing situation in a published app which also displayed the time, and found that each second that ticked by was causing a total page refresh. Since you are providing the entire desktop maybe something similar is occurring. Our issue was not with everyone who ran the app, perhaps half the folks and by the time we figured it out we weren't concerned with why it was only half.

Phil

We already have the time turned off by default. I can't think of anything else that would be causing page refreshes. In saying that though, it's not actually a whole screen refresh. It's only the icons on the desktop. There is Novell Application Launcher window which sits on top that doesnt seem to be affected. It's only the windows desktop. Back to the drawing board. Thanks anyway Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back