Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Data from Web into Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvarr

MIS
Nov 24, 2009
AU
Was wondering what might be the problem.
I am trying to get external data from the web but it only returns 50 records.
There are more records if i clicked on the arrow to Display More on the web page.
Is there a way to extract full record on the excel worksheet?

Thanks,
Arv.

We probably need more info

Can you provide t3he site details?
How are you retrieving the data (there are various ways, and without knowing which one you are trying to use, we cannot really advise ...)?

It is the internal company site.
Looks like its oracle analytics.
Retrieving from excel > get data > web

And you are quite sure that Oracale Analytics is generating the whole page of data, rather than simply generating visible records?

Correct. Whole page data is generated once I click display max records.

arvarr said:
There are more records if i clicked on the arrow to Display More on the web page.
Before clicking the arrow, is the number of displayed records the same as in excel? You just scroll the data in the web page or the you have to click to display the full set (as in stromgm's question)?

combo

Nope, before clicking on the arrow, it only has 50 records.

Have to click to show full details.

Any changes in address in case of full data? If so, you can try to point full dataset.

combo

arvarr said:
It is the internal company site.
Looks like its oracle analytics.

Can’t you just ask your IT to have the access to this information straight? By-passing the web site?

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

I can run the report from the website. Then, export to csv file.
The intent is to find if there is an easier way to directly refresh from excel.

Basically, Excel screenscrapes. And it sounds like, until you press that button, you do not have all the data available to be scraped.

After i press the button to expand the data, I tries refreshing again from excel but it still only pulls through 50 records and not the full set of data.

Excel uses the website address to pick the data, not your browser.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back