Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting CPReporter on Win2k3 working against CPServer 04.04.04?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisBoutilier

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2003
CA
So, I'm at my wits end with this one...

We have two boxes: CALLPILOT and REPORTER. CALLPILOT runs on a 201i board in the CS1000 chassis, REPORTER runs on standalone 32bit Intel hardware.

I can access the Callpilot Manager via and all works as expected. I can also access CPReporter via then Tools->Reporter. Everything appears to work as expected within Reporter, but there is no data in the database (reports generate but the viewer is empty). Both machines have been left running for days without any data being logged.

I have checked from the console of both CALLPILOT and REPORTER that DNS and WINS resolution of the other machines hostname works. I have followed the processes outlined in 555-7101-202 (Callpilot 4.0 Software Administration and Maintenance) under 'To Install and Run CallPilot Reporter on a Windows 2003 Standalone Server with SP1' to relax the various windows permissions needed to allow Reporter to run.

Checking on the Reporter Server, in the Callpilot System Log (Tools->Reporter->System log) I notice multiple occurrences of:

[80004005, Unspecified error, Description: Unspecified error CDSJob::Run(): CP Server ping failed, Source: CallPilot Reporter]

Checking in the Windows Application Eventlog on the Callpilot Server, I see repeated occurrences of:

Source: NGen
EventID: 41002
Category: Major
Description: Event from OM Server[OMServer] : Failed to register Reporter. -2147023174, Source: (unknown), Description: (none)

Closely followed by:

Source: NGen
EventID: 41008
Category: Info
Description: Event from OM Server[OMServer] : Return code: 0, Source CNBOMServer::OnSystemUP, Description: Reporter 'REPORTER'('REPORTER') is not found in reporters list.

Now, we've already gone through the whole process of setting up ANONYMOUS dcom access permissions and, checking the Security Log on the Callpilot server, I can see the successful login/logouts by NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGIN originating from REPORTER, presumably associated with those DCOM calls. This leads me to believe that the issue is deeper inside the configuration database of CALLPILOT, perhaps somehow related to registering the publisher/subscriber relationship for replicating the log entries to the SQL database on REPORTER? This is further reinforced by the fact that, when I hit the 'logout & erase' button in Reporter (which I understand purges the Reporter related config and deregisters the database feed) it throws:

Error code: -2146825023, text 1: Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

I have a sneaking feeling this may somehow relate back to an aborted install of Reporter on a Windows 2003 R2 host the very first time around - the process for relaxing the necessary permissions wouldn't work and we were obliged to upgrade the entire infrastructure to Callpilot 5 to make Reporter work, which was a touch excessive.

... and yes, CALLPILOT has been rebooted recently. Infact, it seems to leak resources and run out of VM fairly often which leads us to reboot it every month or two.

So, any other suggestions or pointers?

Thanks in advance.
Kris Boutilier

DO you have all of the PEPs installed for both the Call Pilot and Reporter. I remember having an issue like this when we installed PEPs on the Call Pilot and did not upgrade the version of Reporter.

I'm not certain how I would install Callpilot PEPs on the reporter host - there doesn't seem to be anything accesable on there other than the reporter engine and SQLAnywhere, unlike the Callpilot Media host. As for it, the currently installed PEPs are:

CP40404SU02S
CP404S02G04C
CP404S02G09S
CP404S02G10S
CP404S02G11S
CP404S02G14S
CP404S02G20S
CP404S02G21S
CP404S02G25S
CP404S02G26S
CP404S02G55S
CP404SEC004S

Can anyone advise how I can look up details of these installed PEPs and find any others that may be applicable? Whatever is installed now is what the system installer decided was neccessary... but that was before CP Reporter was deployed.

You will need to match version of CP Manager. Log directly into the callpilot's native cp manager and check the version that it is running.

Then make sure the CP Reporter server is running the exact same version of cp manager.

Match pep levels that involve CP Manager only.

You can not install Callpilot system peps on a non callpilot server.

Our Reporter installation is at last running. Below are some notes cast into the void for the benefit of others (and search engines) who may come looking...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

New install of Reporter from Callpilot 04.04.04 to stand alone server.
Apply DCOM twiddles to relax Windows security settings and allow anonymous access for calls from reporter->callpilot(DCOM nmaos component)

Why does browser prompt for Windows Login credentials when attempting to access but not ?

Install PEP CP404S02G04C on reporter host. This also rolls up fixes for:
Q01358015 Cannot run Reporter after upgrading it
Q01302785 Reporter R&R: Export function overwrites old report
Q01304839 Reporter R&R: Errors handling/reporting and tracing enhancement
Q01308944 Reporter R&R: Install CallPilot Reporter on another drive besides C
Q01311834 Reporter R&R: Limit on number of CP Servers connected to one CP Reporter
Q01304856 ReporterCOMPermWin2003SP1 tool must be embedded into the installation package
Q01314022 Reporter R&R: Create separation between "Logout" and "Logout & Erase" buttons
Q01315788 Reporter R&R: Connection to CallPilot Server message in the CP Manager Sys log
Q01316253 Reporter R&R: Events reporting enhancement
Q01149993 Reporter keeps losing connection unable to recover with losing data
Restart reporter

Accessing reporter Report Viewer seems to produce blank, specifically 'empty' reports?
As built, CP Reporter uses the Crystal Report Viewer 1.2.85 java application to display reports, which is sensitive to the JRE installed on the client. Nortel ships JRE-1.3.1-11 on the Callpilot CD. Most up to date PCs are running 1.6.x

Running reportviewer.jar v1.2.85 on newer JREs will cause it to throw an exception such as:

Reader::" Exception caught.
Error reported : Failed to connect to server.

However, the exception relates to aquiring the data from the reporter server, not starting the viewer application. Thus, it appears to work but displays an empty frame and the failure is not apparent unless Java Console is enabled in browser.

Note: The viewer should always show a report on a white background with headers and 0 values if the viewer and reporter are working, regardless of the state of the reporter/callpilot data feed. During installation, use IE on the reporter server itself to test the functioning of reporter to eliminate client issues.

Official recommendation is to install JRE-1.3.1-11 from Callpilot CD on clients who wish to view reports from Callpilot reporter, however 1.3.1 causes DEP crashes on Vista 64bit and generally causes pain for staff who access other java-based Nortel hardware using their browsers.

Instead, patch reporter to dispense the current Crystal Report Viewer 2.1.21.2:
Download evaluation copy of Crystal Reports Server from BusinessObjects.com
Unpack and install on a temporary workstation
Back up and then remove contents of C:\Inetpub\ on the reporter server
Copy c:\Program Files\Business Objects\common\3.5\crystalreportviewers115\JavaViewer\reportviewer.jar from temporary workstation to C:\Inetpub\ on the reporter server
Edit c:\Inetpub\ and replace line 6:
<applet code=com.crystaldecisions.ReportViewer.ReportViewer
with:
<applet code=com.seagatesoftware.img.ReportViewer.ReportViewer
Voila! Vista/IE/Firefox etc. support for viewing reports

Note: Clients may need to flush browser cache to receive new viewer app. Also, this will make your reporter installation 'unsupported' and may offend Business Objects Inc.

Events in the reporter System Log (Tools->Reporter->System log) such as:

[80004005, Unspecified error, Description: Unspecified error CDSJob::Run(): CP Server ping failed, Source: CallPilot Reporter]

describe the inability of the callpilot (not reporter) server to contact the reporter server (ie. to post OM related DCOM events from callpilot to reporter). In our case the callpilot server was deployed without any DNS servers configured, nor any WINS servers. DNS references to the callpilot server were configured statically. Thus, reporter could resolve and contact callpilot _and_ callpilot could contact reporter by IP, but when the payload of a DCOM request contained the fully qualified name of the reporter server, it would fail to resolve. Also note, this resolves issues where reporter appears to run fine when on the same subnet as the callpilot CLAN interface, but fails when on a different subnet - presumably Windows is falling back to a NetBIOS broadcast to resolve reporter and reporter is replying with sufficient information about itself...

The OM feed from callpilot to reporter can be confirmed running by shutting down the reporter host, then looking in the Windows eventlog on callpilot. Warning event ID 41001 should be logged, reading something like:

Event from OM Server[OMServer] : Server failed to peg an OM. -85, Source: CDBConnection, Description: [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Communication link failure: Communication error

Report viewer shows zero values in reports, even though everything seems to be working?

The viewer defaults to the previous 24 hours. If you've just installed reporter there isn't any data - change it to display today's date.

To clarify, regarding:

I have checked from the console of both CALLPILOT and REPORTER that DNS and WINS resolution of the other machines hostname works.

It seems that we didn't check the actual CLAN configuration parameters for DNS and WINS, only quick cursory checks from the command line... why it appeared that name resolution was working at that point is not at all clear.

Also:

Error code: -2146825023, text 1: Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

is an ADODB.Recordset error. Presumably this was reporters way of complaining that it couldn't 'erase' the configuration when 'logout & erase' was clicked because there was no valid DCOM registration to erase...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back