Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting busiest time band

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterb58

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2005
I have created a report for a call centre which shows a graphical distribution of their calls traffic over the 24hs in a day over any given period.

I show them how many calls arrived in a single hour e.g 11:00 - 12:00 3,451 calls. This is done by Grouping the call arrival time specified by hour. I then use a summary on the group to show how many calls arrived in each hour.

What I want to do is have a 'summary' at the bottom of the page showing average calls per day, average call duration etc and what the busiest hour was.

I don't seem to be able to simply lift the summaried total, which I can see on the page directly into my info box.

Can that be done or will I need a seperate formula?

Pete

Do you have a group on date and then on hour? When you say you want a summary at the bottom of the page, do you mean in the report footer? Do you mean you want the average # of calls per day, or do you mean you want the average # of calls per hour for each day? I'm assuming that the average call duration is across all details.

-LB

LB

I have created a group based on Arrival time which is in the format dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss.sss. I have used a specic order to this group based on Hour ( an nice option in the Group Expert, saves some work ). This then gives me a list of all the calls which arrived in any specific hour. I suppress details as I am not really intersted in those.

I then created a summary based on the group to count all the calls in each hour, so I have two columns on the bosy of the report which show the hour and number of calls. I can see from this which hour was the busiest.

In the report footer I want to put some seperate details so the user can see some information at a glance.

Average Calls per hours, total calls per day etc. These are not a problem. What I want to pick out in this section is the busiest hour, which I know from the group summary!. I did try to find the maximum() of my summary, but this will show the last call time in the busiest period e.g 12:27:45.512. I can't seem to find an easy way to get information, which is literally 2inches above, to where I want it.

regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Could you create a running total with a formula contained that uses a variable to store the total for the grouped interval. You can then check using the "previous" function to see if the current value is greater than the previous one. If it is then save it to the variable otherwise move on...

I've done something similar to this before, I'm sure

Pete

Use two formulas like:

//{@accum} to be placed in the hour group header or footer:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar max;

if count({table.callID},{table.datetime},"by hour") > max then
max := count({table.callID},{table.datetime},"by hour");

//{@displ} to be placed in the report footer:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar max;

-LB

LB

thanks so far. That pick up the maximum numbers of calls for an hour. WHat I wish to display is the actual hour which is the busiest. I don't seem to be able to backtrack to say I had 55 calls in the 03:00 - 04:00 hour.

Pete

Change the formulas as follows:

//{@accum} to be placed in the hour group header or footer:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar max;
stringvar hourx;

if count({table.callID},{table.datetime},"by hour") > max then
(
max := count({table.callID},{table.datetime},"by hour");
hourx := totext({table.datetime},"hh:mm:ss")
);

//{@displ} to be placed in the report footer:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar max;
stringvar hourx;

"The busiest hour is " + hourx + " with " + totext(max,0,"") + " calls."

-LB

LB

thanks

I did not pick up on coverting the hour to a stringvar in order to be able to track it.

A little tweaking and it displays what I need.

many thanks

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back