Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting around speed call limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

aux0

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2003
US
We are planning an Option 81 install. Our current Rolm system utilizes feature code dialing (#6xxxx) to dial any of our 1600 stores where the xxxx is one of our store numbers. The Rolm takes the #6xxxx and translates that to the actual phone number for the location. Nortel utilizes speed calling and has suggested utilizing two buttons on the phone for 2 call lists. 1 list for 1st 1000 stores, 2nd list for second 1000 stores. Problem is if we go over 2000 numbers we need a third button and would have to replace about 100 3903 phones.

I am looking for an alternative to speed calling & the use of the buttons. Our preference would be to simply dial 2xxx and have the nortel refer to a table for translation. Would we have the same list size limit and is there a work around.

Could we use pretranslation & a dialing plan to emulate speed calling
Could we set up extensions for each store and have the Nortel forward the call to the actual store number.

Thanks

You should be able to setup your translation tables in BARS/NARS to handle this complex dialing scheme, but you might have a differnt code to dial prior to your store number. example 555-XXXX (xxxx being store number).

Good Luck!!

NARS/BARS can use LOC (location code) to translate the LOC to a phone number and dial it, I have been using this since 1982 when I installed Nortels Private Network of 75 PBX's.

This is a dilema, if you try to use Nars/Bars then you only have 1000 DMI's you can use. It is too bad that you cannot get an analog to HOT D to a SSU (use a 2 digit DN on the 500 and then HOT D to SPRE+73 so you access the specified Speed call list. Use 2 500's for 2 lists. This would be unknown to the users). I have tried multiple configurations but I get the SCH (damn thing). Maybe someone knows a way along these lines that may work. These are just random thoughts, maybe it will spark someones imagination. On another note. Will this only be dialing 1 number for each store or do you want mulitiple for each store? If it is only 1 entry per store then I would use a name dialing option. As in something along the lines of Pure Request (made by Philips). There are many peripherial applications out there for this. I understand that this is an added expense but would be worth the expense for ease of use (and maintenance). Another way is to talk to your LD/Local provider they can setup a 7 digit dialing plan in there network for a nominal fee. We use this feature for all of our sites at Philips. Good Luck!

How about having 2 different lists as you suggest but accessing them via pilot DN (PLDN in LD 57). For example 6xxx and 7xxxx where 6 and 7 are PLDN each one set up as SCLUs pointing to a list?

You do not need to use all those DMI's if you set up LOC's correctly in LD 90 with the proper LDN and DID ranges. When you do this, saying CNVT = YES in a PSTN route, the PBX will automatically convert LOC-xxxx to the proper NPA-NXX-xxxx for DID numbers, or NPA-NXX-LDN for non DID numbers at the far end.

--
Fletch

Fletch,

I`ve programmed a feature in our Nortel where a user can dial 81 + extension which is translated into via DMI`s etc into the mobile number. Though we can obtain a link from the mobile operator and send 81 to them and they translate it, we have 30 offices so co-ordinating is a pain.Can I use the CNVT as above, if so how?

wayne.jackson@allenovery.com

thanks

Fletch,

I forgot, we have around 2000-2500 mobile in the 30 offices

regards

wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back