Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting around ISP blocking port 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicrjm

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2005
US
I have remote users that use POP3 from my exchange box. Users have been complaining about not being able to send email when they are in hotels and other facilities but everything works fine in the office. These are users that prefer to use their Outlook rather than the webmail when traveling.

Why couldn't I add another port to my Default SMTP Virtual Server? Exchange System Manager\First Admin Group\Servers\your server\Protocols\SMTP\Default SMTP Virtual Server. You can right click Default SMTP Virtual Server, properties, Advanced, Add, IP address: (ip address of exchange server) and add port 2525 for example. I could then have all the mobile users change their outgoing port to 2525 in their outlook and open the port on my firewall.

If I did this, would I need to worry about what port Exchange sends out on? Or would Exchange default to send out on 25 unless specified in Outlook?

Set up your remote users to use RPC over HTTPS instead perhaps?

I agree. Get rid of POP3. It's terribly inefficient, and severely lacking in featured. RPC over HTTPS would be far better.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back