Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting apt to replace the whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jez

Programmer
Apr 24, 2001
VN
[dist - Debian]

Hi there,

I have managed to cause alot of problems with dependancies on my system, through switching from APT-get to install from source by hand...

The state my machine is in now is that i can get a shell, network, no X, and apt works.
As far as i can tell this is about it.

When i run apt-get -u dist-upgrade --reinstall

I am told there is 0 upgraded, 0, and 0 and 0 (for the other info returned).

I want (and need) to get the whole system (almost) re-installed and i have a T1 at work so i thought i could do it there with apt, is there an apt command that will effectively restore my system?

I am using the official sources in my apt sources file.

Also there is nothing I need to save so there is no data considerations with this.

I have looked through the documentation for APT and it doesnt give any info about how to force a complete install (when there is an existing one).

Thanks

JEz

Are you in a position to reinstall the box? Dependencies problems can be very bad when broken for Debian.

Also, are you aware that the Debian apt-get sites were offline earlier this week? Perhaps you literally had nothing to apt?

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Yeah, I am thinking that i might need to re-install, there is no issues with re-installing, i only build the base system a couple of weeks ago.

I can but it will have to be from CD, then using apt(internet) once the base is there.

My problem is that it is a laptop and the dock station (with cdrom) weighs a ton and i'd rather not have to drag it to work.

Also, i didnt know the apt sites were down, but i dont think i was affected, as there definitely seemed to be some activity when i was causing all this trouble (yesterday and today).

I know it is quite a cavalier attitude to take to linux and i wouldnt dream of it on my servers but i am currently trying to completely switch my desktop over from windoze, because so many non-techie people ask me about linux and should they get it.... always a tricky question and it has been a while since i ran linux on the desktop (RH preivously).

Anyway, thanks for the tip, i am finding Debian to be alot tougher than RH, but i am getting to know alot more about the way linux works as a result (which was the point of it all anyway).

Thanks again.

JEz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back