Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting an interval in hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwhalen

Programmer
Feb 22, 2002
CA
Hello,

I am having some problems with date and time functions. What I am doing is finding the average time it takes to complete a particular task in a group. To do this I am using this sql:

SELECT date_trunc('second',AVG(AGE(close_date,creation_date))) from performance_view WHERE Workbasket iLike 'Sales' AND task = 'Sales Confirmation';

This works great, I get a result like 3 days 2 hours and whatever. The problem is the workbasket group, let us say Sales has multiple tasks in it. What I want to do is do a final Avg of all the tasks in each workbasket. I don't think I can do this in my SQL so I was going to loop through the result and add up the intervals and then divide by the total. The problem is you can't add 2 days 3 hours with 4 days 6 hours in perl! So what I would like to do is to retrieve another value from the database but have this value be in one type of number...what I mean is 2 days and 3 hours returned as 51 hours. This way I can just add up the numbers and divide by the total. Is there a way I can do this. Here is some of the things I was trying:

SELECT date_trunc('second',AVG(AGE(close_date,creation_date)))/24 from performance_view where workbasket iLike 'Sales';

or

SELECT date_trunc('second',AVG(AGE(close_date,creation_date)))/ interval '24 hours' from performance_view where workbasket iLike 'Sales';

or

SELECT date_trunc('second',AVG(AGE(close_date,creation_date)))::interval('hours') AS g from performance_view where workbasket iLike 'Sales';

Thanks for any suggestions. I hope I was clear on what I want.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back