Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting Administrator account to show on login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bankboysb

Technical User
Jun 7, 2004
US
I know I have seen a post or two on this subject, I was hoping someone knows where it is or how to do this. I have searched the posts here and can't find it.

I need to have the Administrator account name show up as an option on the login screen. How does one alter the OS to cause this?

I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for but there're two reg keys that will set the default and alternate default logon names:

hklm\software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\winlogon\DefaultUserName

adn AltDefaultUserName.

bankboysb,

Although CorBlimeyLimey's VB script appears that it will work, I think the 'cleanest' way to achieve what you want is to download TweakUI directly from Microsoft.

When you run it, you will see in the tree on the left, 'Logon.' If you select this, without expanding the subtree, you will be presented with a list of users - including the Administrator - that you can specify to show up or not on the welcome screen.

And if you take take the time to explore the other options available to you in TweakUI, you might discover a lot of other 'features' that allow you to customize your interface with Windows XP. Good luck!

Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. --- Margaret Mead [ponder]

Thanks to all for the help!

Yeah, I have seen the TweakUI program recommended on many occasions on this site, but here at work we are highly restricted as to the kinds of software we are allowed to use. I will have to try it at home, perhaps.

Thanks for the link to Kelly's Korner. I had forgotten about that site. I have others like it on file, too, but didn't think about it. I often prefer to have the regedit steps on hand though, so I can learn how it's done instead of relying on a VB script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back