Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting 5.5 GAL into Exch2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

comfysofa

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2002
GB
Well - i hope someone can help.....i have a new exchange server which i have put into an existing 5.5 organization but when i pull up the GAL on a client connected to the 2003 server it only pulls up the address list from the server next to it not from the top level group....

To get 5.5 and Exchange 2K3 to share GALs with each other you need an Active Directory Connector (ADC).

Its ok - ive sorted it out - but if i put resolution in - then it should help others......

I did already have a configured ADC in - problem was - was that i was only getting an address list from the server in the same site - i actually have to put in connection agreements from ny new server to all of the old individual sites - this is then pulled through to the new exchange server where it then builds the GAL which i ultimately see on my Client on the new active directory......

our orgnization also need to share between Exchange 5.5 server contact list with other divisions which has exchange 2003 servers.
Can you detail you process how can we import exchange 5.5 server global address list which was exported as a csv file to exchange 2003 server, please.

you dont actually import the global address list manually the adc and the connection on top of that, that you then put into the relevant site replicates the GAL through to your new exchange server - so - if say for example youve got 6 sites with multiple exchange servers within them you then need 6 replication agreements with those sites put into the ADC (this was my scenario) as soon as this is set up then global address list is built on the fly as they replicate - one thing that i have done is i have set a two way agreement so data is replicated backwards and forwards which is a bit messy from an admin point of view but doesnt really bother me as the old network will be switched off eventually and ive got more flexibility with the AD to tidy up...

i think our migration (which is underway at the moment) was alot more fiddly than most which ultimately is good training for me!!

if you need more help just ask...but all i can do is tell you what happened with my circumstances - ill do my best to help - but im not responsible for your network (sorry - just have to cover myself on that front)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back