Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GetObjectContext failing under Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarler

Programmer
Jan 29, 2001
US
When running objects from component services in the VB IDE, all calls to GetObjectContext return nothing. In the past (i.e. NT4 Workstation and Server) I was able to debug MTS applications in the VB IDE and get data from the call to GetObjectContext. What would cause the call to GetObjectContext on a Win2k machine running code in the IDE to fail? Thanks for any info you can provide. - Jeff Marler B-)

hi,
can u tell me what can be used instead of GetObjectContext
while working on Win2k.
Any response of urs in this regard will be deeply appreciated.

regards
vineetha

Jeff -

Do you have COM+ running on this machine?

Chip H.

Chip,
Thanks for the response, but I've figured out what the problem was (although it doesn't seem right). From what I can tell, if you have code running in the IDE for debugging component services applictions, and you have a group of projects in the IDE AND you have any type of Form in any of the groups, the call to GetObjectContext will return Nothing. If you pull the project with the UI out of the project group, it will work perfect. I've just resigned myself to keeping any client side code in 1 IDE and all Serverside code in another IDE for debugging. That seems to work, so that is what I'm doing. - Jeff Marler B-)

If you pull the project with the UI out of the project group, it will work perfect.

Yes, strange, but I can see that happening.

I myself never use groups -- I always run separate instances of VB. It's slower when they've got to make calls between them, but I figure that's more like it'll be in production.

Glad you were able to figure it out.

Chip H.

I used to run seperate IDEs too, but we currently have over 60 DLLs running in Component Services (more when you count the client side stuff). Now I just assign an IDE to each process space/package and that seems to wrok really well. - Jeff Marler B-)

Hi,

I have a 3-tier application and I export my packages from MTS on WinNT and import it in Com+ but it's not working...

any idea?

Thanks a lot,

Sherlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back