Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getHostName

Status
Not open for further replies.

mevasquez

Programmer
Aug 26, 2003
US
I downloaded the sample code in thread222-760425; however, when I try to use Trim$(hostname), nothing happens, the variable still contain vbNullChar characters. How do I remove vbNullChar characters in a string. Here is sample code.
Code:
Private Declare Function gethostname Lib "WSOCK32.DLL" (ByVal hostname$, _
  ByVal HostLen As Long) As Long
Private Const SOCKET_ERROR = -1

Dim hostname As String * 256

If gethostname(hostname, 256) = SOCKET_ERROR Then
         'output error 
          Exit Function
 Else
          hostname = Trim$(hostname)
 End If
Because as you can see hostname was declare as a 256 character string. How do I remove the excess characters. The Trim$(hostname) did not remove the excess characters.
I tried,
Code:
   hostname = replace(hostname, vbNullChar, "")
but this just remove the vbNullChar and left a lot of spaces.

TIA

Mike

What about doing the TRIM$(hostname) after you have done the replace () command.

The trim may not be working since there was a vbnullcar at the end and could not trim it.

Just a thought?????

I remember this happening to me once before and I fixed it but I don't remember how I did it.

Mike

Tried this?

[tt]hostname = Left$(hostname, InStr(hostname, vbNullChar) - 1)[/tt]

You've Dimmed hostname as String * 256. It will always be 256 characters long, padded with spaces - that's what the Dim statement does. Change the Dim statement or use another variable

What was I thinking?

I seldom used fixed-length Strings for these sorts of API calls and seem to have fallen into a rut. Of course my suggestion won't help eliminate the spaces!

Yes, use a variable-length String variable and pre-pad it to 256 using Spaces$(256) or String$(256, 0) before the call. Follow up with Left$() as I mentioned before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back