Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

get started a (complicated) database

Status
Not open for further replies.

isabela

Programmer
Sep 16, 2003
DK
I have to create a price discount database - to be used for entering discount information needed for accounting department such as product no. , name, customer, discount % or discount in currency (I was thinking of combining those the last two if possible giving the user possibility to use which he likes and the other option would
be calculated automatically afterwards - is it possible?), period for discount, volume minimum and target, reason for discount and the way of giving discount.

Our product list is very large containing about 100.000 items which are grouped to 5 tables looking like a pyramid (only about 30.000 are active so I was thinking of making a table query with only active products) the ground table(X1) contains all part nr. then those are linked to X2 table to models, then X3 to product groups and so on. I would like to enable some sort of search in my dataentry form for the user so he does not have to type product no and name. How can I do this with such a large product list?

Also cost price and current sales price have to be shown on the dataentry form witch the user can see margin % and if there is base for discount.Sales prices can be obtained from orderline table from third database which
is, you can imagine, huge. How can I make it lookup price for the right product and right customer in the right time?

the same database will be used to follow up on results of discount campaigns in terms of volume increase.
I would like to enable results to be seen by a single campaign, or by all open campaigns, by a specific product group or by customer.
therefore I was thinking to design campaign code and campaign name to be entered in a separate table and in the same time enter campaign code to the price discount table with additional line no (those two would be primary key
in price discount table) Is it possible to do in this way?

Please can someone help?
Thanks.
Anna

Too many questions for one post! And I can't figure out where to start you. From your post it sounds like you are fairly new to database design.

I think everything you want to do can be done. Use features like autofill for a lookup. If you want a form to restrict records for the autofill set an onupdate event.

Start by spending LOTS of time getting a NAME for every piece of data for input/output. Spend LOTS of time determining what each piece of data defines or is defined by. This process will generate the table structure and data flow logic.

Even better, go to the bookstore and find a good Access book. Sit down and read thru them to find one you think will be helpful. Buy two if you need.

Good luck, and try asking your questions one at a time.

Mark
<O>
_|_

Hi,

Yes,I could help.

Jean-Paul
Montreal
jp@solutionsvba.com
mtljp2@sympatico.ca

There's a great book called &quot;Database Design for Mere Mortals&quot; on rational database design. This might be a good place to start.

I can't figure why you would need so many tables to describe a single item.

Use the &quot;combo box wizard&quot; to create a lookup

For discount make a query that includes &quot;ProductID&quot; and &quot;CustomerID&quot; linked to those tables

These would be my best guesses with the info you gave.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back