Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

get ordinate dimensions to reflect new origin

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgmanager

Technical User
Mar 25, 2005
US
Is there a way to change all of my dimensions to reflect a new origin? I am installing some new equipment and working off of old prints. The old prints utilize an x and y datum point and ordinate dimensions. I am adding several new pieces of equipment and changing the datum reference. I would like to be able to relocate the origin i.e., x and y zero points so I can reference the old drawing for portions of the new drawing.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks

sure.

What version of AutoCAD?

I'm familiar with 2002, so I will suggest a possible solution for that one.

-Bring up the properties dialog window. (double click on a line)
-Deselect everything(hit escape a couple of times).
-Use the quick select button (located near the top of the properties dialog window, beside the text box showing what is selected, should say "no selection" or something like that)
-Under the entities pulldown, select ordinate dimensions (or just dimensions.)
-press OK
- You should now have all of the ordinate dimension selected.
-now move the origin node for all of the dimensions (click once inside the grip(little box)) to the new location.

Quick question. Why are you changing the base co-ord system for your site. Won't this lead to future problems, if you don't change every dimension on every drwing that refers to this site? Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Petursson

Thanks, I will give it a try. The reason I want to move the origin is because I am redrawing these prints. I do not have an electronic version and I would like to compare the cad drawing dimensions to the paper drawing without having to use a calculator for each one.

A good reason.

Another suggestion...

Select everything, and use the stretch command. and stretch all of the geometery to the proper location.

You may want to be careful if you move the origin node of the dimensions, because any new ones you create will still use the original 0,0 for it origin, and this may cause confusion!

Kevin Petursson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back