Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get key associated with max value in a Dictionnary using vb - without using LINQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXB0809

Technical User
Sep 8, 2015
GB
To all,
To all

Started learning Dictionary to deal with data from an engineering software. So far so good…
I am looking for a way of getting the max value in the dictionary and then get the key related to that max value. Dictionary (Of Integer, Double) representing (Node ID, value). According to the online doc it should be easy but it’s not working as I am getting an error message (specific to the eng. tool being used) when trying to run the test code.

Ultimately I’d like to return the "top N" Node ID corresponding to the "top N" value. It seems that this can be done easily with LINQ but as this cannot be done without an author license I am a bit stuck.

So my (simple) thinking is:
1. Find max value in dictionary, returns its key (i.e the Node ID).
2. Add nodeID to list ListNodeIDFinal
3. Remove pair (NodeID,value) from step #1
Loop through step 1-3 N times

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Regards
JXB

Dim mydictionary As New Dictionary(Of Integer, Double)
mydictionary.Add(5001, 10.1)
mydictionary.Add(5002, 20.2)
mydictionary.Add(9999, 99.9)
mydictionary.Add(6001, 30.3)
mydictionary.Add(6002, 40.4)

'BEFORE
For Each pair In mydictionary
theLW.WriteLine(String.Format("{0}, {1}", pair.Key, pair.Value))
Next

Dim maxvalue As Integer = mydictionary.Max(Function(Value) mydictionary.Value)

'The Remove method accepts only keys as arguments. To remove the “nth” item from a Dictionary object, use a workaround that uses the Remove and Keys methods:
myDictionary.Remove myDictionary.Keys()(maxvalue)

'AFTER
For Each pair In mydictionary
theLW.WriteLine(String.Format("{0}, {1}", pair.Key, pair.Value))
Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back