Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

get invoice numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stockboy

Programmer
Apr 24, 2002
US
Hello,

I am trying to build an access application that creates invoices that will be imported into Great Plains. In this process, I need to get the next invoice number from great plains so I can store in in access with the invoices.

My problem is I have no idea how to do this. The data will be imported into GP using RM.

I know along the way, I will need to insert a record into RM_Keys_MSTR.

Any thoughts or ideas?

The process of writing an application that would enter records directly into great plains is not one that should be taken lightly. There are a number of implications.
1. The details when entered through great plains calculate and validate Sales, financial and tax information and update all these records simultaneously.
2. There are numerous tables that are updated on the entry of a transaction. E.g. Entering a sales transaction will enter to the Key file the header file the distribution file, the set-up file and the statistics files in the sales and finacial series.

I could go on but for this reason this is how people would normally go about integrating from an outside system.

1. Buy SOP and do all your invoicing in Great Plains. I know this sounds obvious.

2. Use a seperate invoice number scheme in Access from the one that you use in great plains. When you import into great plains you have the option to override the next voucher number with the number from Access. The audit trail numbers will still run sequentially.

3. Have a seperate number series in Access and use it to import to another field e.g. the PO number. After the import has completed a simple update query in Access could find the invoice number that has been allocated by Great Plains and update the records in Access with this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back