Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get Inserted ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmanOK

MIS
Mar 5, 2001
I have a page that adds a new record to a SQL database with default parameters, and then redirects to a page where you can then modify and change that record. When I insert the record is there any way to get the autogenerated ID that was added? Currently I tell it to select the top record, but if multiple users are using the application at the same time it can cause conflicts. I have similar applications running on MS SQL and on MySQL so suggestions for either would be appreciated.

Are you using a stored procedure? You can return the identity of the inserted using scope_identity(). You can then reurn that value as an output parameter to your page.

I did something similar and what I did was re-query the DB on my second page using stored variables from the first page so I could get the ID field from that newly created record, so like jbenson001 said, you should be able to do that without any problem...

Hi,

Yep, set a parameter to output like:-

Dim parameterNewid As New SqlParameter("@Newid", SqlDbType.Int)
parameterNewid.Direction = ParameterDirection.Output
command.Parameters.Add(parameterNewid)

you can then call

set @NewID=@@Identity

from the end of your stored procedure.

This brings back the inserted unique value.

hth
j

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A community development project in asp.net -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back