Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get illegal operation error during Windows 2000 install over Windows 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnF1

Technical User
Aug 13, 2001
CA
I'm upgrading to Windows 2000 from first edition Windows98. Again and again I get an 'Illegal operation (?) error message near the end of the 'checking out the files' part of the pre-install activity. Includes something about WINNT32, blah, blah, etc. and ...KERNEL32 ... etc. And the words (if I remember) stack error at the end. Tried to upgrade Windows 98 to 2nd edition, but couldn't even do that. Same illegal operation message. I had Roxio's GoBack 3.1 program on the C drive but uninstalled it (also uninstalled QuickBooks) before retrying the install of Windows 2000. I would like to avoid formating my C drive and reinstalling my programs because there are so many of them and I did that a few months ago. Any ideas? Thanks.

Your best bet here is to fdisk the drive, delete partitions and repartition. Chances are the programs you have installed are not going to work if you try to install win2k this way anyways. The installation for those programs probably only copied over the files needed for win98, plus the path to the system files is not the same between win98 and win2k so I would think this would cause some errors down the road. A fresh install is going to give you a MUCH better operating system install anyways. You don't really want to risk mixing the system files between those two operating systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back