Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get External Image To Point To Image File In Report Manager Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittle

ISP
Sep 10, 2002
US
When adding an image to a report you get the option to select Embedded, External or Database.
When I select external I can point to an image using a file reference C:\MyFolder\MyImage.jpg.
I can also reference an image as a URL out there on an internet page with
However I can't get a reference to work for a folder I have created in report manager called 'images' which has browser security for all.
I have tried but all I get is a little red X.

Is there a special way to reference a URL on the SSRS web site itself?

Dazed and confused.

Remember.. 'Depression is just anger without enthusiasum'.

Try something similar to the following: file:\\E:\Report_Projects\client_logos\AcmeRents.png

You need the path to your folder, in the case above, my folder is client_logos.
Good luck.

Your suggestion will work for a location of a hard drive but I am looking for the ability to reference an image on
a URL where the URL is a folder on the report manager server.

In other words I have gone to the SSRS Report Manager intranet web page and created a new folder by clicking on the 'New Folder' icon.
I have then selected the 'Upload File' button and uploaded an image instead of a connection or report definition.

The image then exists in the folder but the URL isn't accepted by my report when I type in the SSRS folder
as a URL for an external item. Yet with other images on URL's outside of the SSRS environment, they do work.
So I think there is something special I have to do when referencing a URL in SSRS Manager managed folders.

Dazed and confused.

Remember.. 'Depression is just anger without enthusiasum'.

The files are stored in the database, not the file system. Therefore you can't get to them with a "normal" URL. SSRS is designed to retrieve and display these within its own interface. But it's not addressable via HTTP from anywhere else.

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back