Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get error in sbs 2003 exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mufaza

Technical User
May 23, 2003
US
Hi,
I have just finished installing SBS 2003 along with exchange
Run dcpromo and got the active directory running, next i tried to start the Exchange Server Manager and i got the following error:

There is no Microsoft Exchange Organisation in that domain

Id No: c1030a8c

what should be done to get exchange organisation set?
Also am I missing any setup after completing active directory thru dcpromo??

Regards,
MJ

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the url. It did help me understand the missing steps.

But again I am not sure whether those steps would be workable thru the SBServer 2003. As Exchange gets installed when SBS is getting installed, thru a span of 4 cd's.

Its like when i tried installing a regular 2003 server thru a Exchange cd, yes it does start out with the checklist of items that it needs to be covered before the final exchange 2003 installation.

Pls help!!

Regards,
MJ

Well, I do know SBS has it's own way of installing, but the steps are the same, as it is basically just an 2003 server with Exchange etc build in.
Skip the finer details from the link, but double-check the major steps like dcpromo, forestprep etc.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

DCPROMO runs automatically as part of the SBS setup. If you went through the full installation, and spanned all the CDs, then DCPROMO was already run, as was /forestprep and /domainprep for Exchange.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Unless something failed or got aborted ....

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]

Exchange is on the third cd that comes with sbs, when you installed sbs their is a check list you have to follow, you shouldnt have to manually have to run dcpromo.

Should not, agree, but if something fails you have no choice. Not every install works from the 1st time, and then manual intervention is required.

There is no point posting what 'should' have been, but what needs to be checked if the 'should' part did not work, OR the user made a mistake.

Marc
[/sub]

Should not, agree, but if something fails you have no choice. Not every install works from the 1st time, and then manual intervention is required.

When it comes to SBS I must strongly disagree. SBS integration is so tight, if there is an error it is my experience (having worked for a partner that specialized in SBS) that you should completely abort and start over. Yes it is another 4 hours of your life gone, but the problems it will avoid in the environment are well worth that effort.

There is no point posting what 'should' have been, but what needs to be checked if the 'should' part did not work, OR the user made a mistake.
Again I would have to disagree. If the experienced behavior is different from the expected behavior then that in itself indicates a problem that should be investigated. Users new to SBS may not know what the expected behavior is, thus pointing this out is a critical step in understanding what the problems may be.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I have to agree with Mark on the first point. We build an SBS box roughly every two days for clients. If the installation doesn't finish successfully, format and reload. Our process is VERY defined for building boxes. I can think of only once did the setup not finish correctly in the last couple of years, and it turned out to be a shaky CD-ROM drive. It took a while to narrow down that that was the problem (no errors until the VERY end, and then they were obscure). But I wouldn't trust a box that wasn't installed without error.

I agree with Mark on the second point as well. 8 months from now, some poor sap is going to Google a problem and end up at this thread in the middle of the night. Noting what SHOULD happen helps those looking for help.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Make mine a 3rd to markdmac. You're dealing with an essentially single server/single domain setup. Errors don't just happen, there's a cause for them and setup time is the right time to find those causes and eliminate them.

I think you'll find its the opinion of every professional that works with SBS for a living, that you don't just manually intervene with SBS.

Yes, much as I despise them because I prefer to script things, the Wizards are EVERYTHING to SBS.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Well, opinions and experiences are devided.
My point was, and still is, IF something goes wrong, OR the person does something wrong, you WILL have trouble.
I can agree with you markdmac that you 'should completely abort and start over' and that 'a problem that should be investigated', but sadly reality shows many just do not do that and then cry for help.

So, you may strongly disagree that SBS should be manually configured during setup, but if the person installing it ignores warning, or misconfigures settings, then your setup WILL fail, regardless of what 'should' be.

Marc
[/sub]

I,ve been working with SBS2003 for over a year now, they are very easy to setup. something during the installation must of went wrong. So far I have never seen a sbs server have a install problem.

Then you have been very lucky so far

Marc
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back