Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get each line LIVE as it appears on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

escuderon

ISP
May 29, 2013
US
Hello!

I'm using Attachmate Extra! X-Treme to write a macro.

This macro is intended to get some lines from screen, parse one at time and then do something with the info extracted.
My question is about how to get each line as it appears on the screen, since the output I'm chasing to be processed has no pages or stops, it just return an undefined quantity of lines based on the args the command issued receive without stopping on each "page". Imagine something like doing a "ls" command on a linux terminal... it will return as many lines as files are in the current path, but without paging or stopping on each screen.

As far as I read on the help, all methods for "Screen" object works based on the actual screen and positions, but always treating the screen as an static matrix of rows and cols, what I need is to process each line from the output as it appears on the screen, LIVE.
That would be the Ideal solution, another workaround I thougth is to capture the whole output until it stops, store it temporally somewhere and then process it, but I don't know how to do that either... :(

I would really like to already have some code to post (besides establishing the session, sending keys and getting my output), but when I started looking for the appropriate method I immediately get stuck rigth there...

Hope you can help or clarify me if I'm wrong on my understanding about the methods!

Thanks in advance!
Nico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back