Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get Data Source (tables and views) for Crystal Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

weikfan

Programmer
May 4, 2005
US
Hi All,

We are on Enterprise 3.1.

Could you please let me know if there is a way to find the data sources (e.g. tables and views) that Crystal report is using? How can it be done via Query Builder? I ran several queries in Query Builder but don't seem to be able to get the info.

I am not familiar with sdk. If it's through sdk, could you please let me know how I can get the data source through sdk?

Thank you very much.
Fan

If you've also got Crystal Reports, open it there and use Export > Report Definition.

I don't use Crystal Enterprise directly, so I can't say if it too has this option.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 11.5 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

This information is not available through Query Builder. You would have to either use Madawc's suggestion or create an application using the SDK that will walk through the individual .rpt files and pull the information.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Thank you both for the info. We have hundreds of reports. I think the SDK option will be what I should use. I am just starting to look at SDK but have not got a hand of it. Could you please give me some examples if you have some?

Thanks for your help.
Fan

I have some .NET sample code out on my website - Specifically, the code for the CrystalDocumenter application might be useful.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Thanks Dell! Great information at your website.

ReportDataSet.xsd looks like might retrieve what I am looking for. How would you execute these files?

Thanks again.
Fan

They have to be compiled in Visual Studio. The dataset is just a place to put the data that is gathered by the code in the .cs files.

I'm pretty sure the application was written in VS 2005 using the Crystal XI .NET SDK, so you'll have to tweak it some to upgrade to 2008 or 2010, neither of which will work well with the XI SDK.

-Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back