Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get data from SNMP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrox

Technical User
Feb 16, 2013
BE
Hello everybody,

I have a simple system made of a client behind a firewall and a server on Internet.

I'm trying to collect very simple data from this server without any issue due to this firewall (being not able to change the firewall ports openings).

Could anyone tell me if SNMP could help me (receive and send packages)?
If the packages sending and request are made by the client behind this firewall, will it work?

Thanks a lot,

Maxime

Most likely not, at least not directly. Almost all firewalls will block SNMP requests.

There are ways around this say write a script on a server to collect the data and then present that on a web page.

Most firewalls will let http traffic through.

Hold it, when you say a server on the internet, and you talking about a hosted server or one on a network you control?

If it is a hosted server then good luck.

Bill

Ok still trying to solve this

We are using 6.3.4.1.

The problem is crazy.

If I enter the total path to the MIBS --
money@secden-nagios80:~$ /usr/bin/snmptranslate -m +/usr/share/snmp/mibs/ForeScout_1.mib -IR -On scoutId

but if I just enter the name and not the path it can't find it but you can see it does have the correct path that it's searching through --
money@secden-nagios80:~$ /usr/bin/snmptranslate -m +ForeScout_1.mib -IR -On scoutId
No log handling enabled - turning on stderr logging
MIB search path: /home/money/.snmp/mibs:/usr/share/mibs/site:/usr/share/snmp/mibs:/usr/share/mibs/iana:/usr/share/mibs/ietf:/usr/share/mibs/netsnmp:/usr/share/snmp/mibs
Cannot find module (ForeScout_1.mib): At line 6 in (none)
Unknown object identifier: scoutId

very frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back