Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get a web page's source code? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweenerz

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
US
Is it possible through filemaker, via plugin or otherwise, to get the source code of a web site? For those that know PHP, I am looking for the equivalent of the curl function in PHP. Is there such a thing that would get a screen grab of a particular web site? Not an image screen capture, but the actual code of the web page.

I am using Filemaker Pro 8.5

tweenerz,

You can use this function:

GetLayoutObjectAttribute(objectName;attributeName{;repetitionNumber; portalRowNumber})

in conjunction with the webviewer object to return the contents of a webpage but I don't think it returns the actual source like CURL. I think it only captures what is displayed on the web page.

Since you're a PHP guy there is a PHP plug-in called SmartPill PHP Edition made by Scodigo that places the power of PHP inside of Filemaker. You might want to check it out as you should be able to use CURL itself then and many of the other PHP extensions.

-Striker

Thanks Striker

That helps a lot. And also thanks for the tip on the SmartPill plug-in; can't believe I never heard of that before.

By using the fmp function, GetLayoutObjectAttribute, I now have to figure out an efficient way of using it since it takes a half to a full second for the page to load in the webviewer. If I scroll through thousands of records, it will take forever to evaluate the web viewers one at a time. And it doesnt appear that I can place the web viewer on a liting layout so they all get evaluated at once - I guess that makes sense as it would be a lot of simultaneous requests. It'd be like having a browser open with 1000's of tabs.

So not sure if there is an answer or not. Maybe the PHP plug-in would be a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back