Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geometry info is invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlymer

Technical User
Jun 2, 2005
CA
We're using ESX Server 2.5.0 with a CX700. In moving servers to virtual, we've gotten several warnings in windows stating:

"cannot create partition table for disk vmhba0:0:35 because geometry info is invalid. Could not load partition table. Please rescan."

The server continues to be able to use the LUN, but it's not seen in the ESX disk manager. We have EMC and VMWare support engaged, but it's been slow-going. I wondered if anyone out there has seen this, or has any tips.

The server continues to be able to use the LUN, but it's not seen in the ESX disk manager.

how are you using the LUN? with a VMFS-2 filesystem or did you give the LUN to a virtual machine as raw device?

Cheers.

they're shown to the virtual machine as a raw device.

they're shown to the virtual machine as a raw device.

that's why...

"cannot create partition table for disk vmhba0:0:35 because geometry info is invalid. Could not load partition table. Please rescan."

ESX Server has no control over the LUN, so if the Guest OS has made a change in the LUN geometry (for compatibility issues in the Guest OS), ESX can not do anyting.

You should be ok anyway.

Cheers.

Is there a way I can fix this (preferably without downtime)?

Also, is there any reason that it isn't consistent? I believe there are others set up the same, but they show up in ESX.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back