Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gentran NT Sessions Hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipclub

Programmer
Feb 20, 2003
IE
Anybody ever experience "hanging" send/receive sessions? A comms session will run and finish successfully but it is not released by the process controller. It remains active yet there is no log for it in the mailbox properties. All subsequent comms sessions will then queue up behind it and do nothing. The net effect of this is to completely stop all external communications and the only fix is to reboot the machine. This thing is driving me nuts. It happens at random, it seriously impacts on production and Sterling have not a clue what is going on.

I have had the identical problem, unfortunatly I haven't
come up with a solution...

I assume that you are either on Gentran 3.2 sp1 or 4.0. If so then contact Sterling Commerce Customer support and they have some hot fixes that address hang issues

We had a similar problem. There are a number of causes of this. I would suggest making the following checks (excuse me if I am teaching you how to suck eggs).

0) Make sure all changes and latest service packs are also installed on the client machines.

1) Check to see the version of Commpost.exe that you are using. The last patch I know of is the one dated Friday, July 26, 2002, 11:26:22 AM.

2) If you are using W2K there is a known issue. W2K can drop certain types of modems from its self. I found that this caused commpost.exe to hang in Gentran 3.2. as the modem pool within the Gentran Server Communications disappeared. This caused Gentran to get its knickers in a twist.
My suggestion is that you also consider upgrading your modem to a US robotics V.Everything 56K Analog Corporate Modem. Once you have installed the modem windows will auto detect the drivers. YOU NEED TO OVERWRITE THESE WITH THE W2K DRIVERS SUPPLIED WITH THE MODEM(or it will give you grief).
This is the only modem we have ever found reliable under W2K (
Let me know if this is not what your looking for and we can chat further

I was having the same problem with FTP sessions , so I
suspect the problem is not modem related. Check your version of GenCom97. Sterling just sent me the newest update which is date stamped 1/28/03 .

Hey this is great news - other people have the same problem! We are using FTP, Sockets and modem to connect to several different VANS and make direct FTPs. Sterling have issued fixes to Gencom97, tx32, compost and just about everything else they can think of. It has followed is from v3.0 to 3.2 and now into 4.0.

Sterling are at a loss and I am continuing to tear my hair out (3 occurrences this week already and it ain't much fun getting up in the middle of the night to fix the thing).

We are using Gentran 5.3, we had a very simmilar problem a couple of weeks ago, and I made three calls to Support, Answers ranged from deleting and recreating the communications profile, to patches, none helped. I called again during 1 of the hangs. "How many Documents do you have?" I answered "15k in out drawer, and 9k in in drawer."

"Gentran does not support more than 7,500 documents in any 1 drawer. Clean up your documents and you will be fine."

I did so, and have not had a hang yet. WHy could the first guy I talked to said that?

Earthworm,

Do you set up your archive to run via schedular ? if you haven't got this set up, I suggest you set this up and will keep your indrawer nice and tidy.

Actually no, I have not setup the archive to run at all. I will look into that though. Thank you for the recomendation, that should save me some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back