Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Genral Help with Alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnatt76

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
GB
Can anyone spare me a few mins with a couple of qestions i have with CIM 7SP2.

I have discovered all my devices and set all my tasks for polling etc.

I have installed all the correct software on my servers (win2k)
Also i have set up the email notification on my CIM7 server but i cant get amy of the devices to send me back alerts.
The main CIM server emails me if say i remove and put the Network cable in but none of the member devices do ?

thanks in advance.
Natt76

sounds like you haven't configured the SNMP trap destination on those hosts... (the ones that aren't notifying)

You have to get all the servers sending SNMP traps to the CIM7 server
e.g. set the SNMP trap destination on all the servers to ip address or hostname of the cim7 server...

Then when something happens on the remote hosts the installed management agents will send a trap to the CIM7 server and it will notify you if configured to do so.

Thanks for your Help so far with this.
I have set the SNMP setting on my CIM7 server. I think anyway
I have set the Email SMTP Host: address as my Exchange server ?
And the Management Server Email Address as Server@domain
(mine obviously)

I have set the SNMP trap destination on the hosts as the IP address if my CIM server but i still do not get the emails.

The notification task i have set up is a security one that should alert me when a failed login on host is detected.
still no Joy ?

Could i have screwed up on the Community strings ?

Thanks again and you might have to send me a bill for your help.

Cheers mate

nnatt76

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back