Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

genius scanner problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lara19

Technical User
Feb 5, 2003
PH
I recently installed a genius colorpage hr6 v2 (EPP) scanner and i dowloaded the recent drivers. My problem is that the scanner is not detected. i checked my bios setting for my port and its EPP mode. Im using a windows xp (SP1) comp with 256 mb memory. How can i make my scanner work?

Does your Device Manager show any yellow circles with a question mark in them? If so, Windows may not have been able to detect the item and labeled it as such...
Conflicting info off their driver page- is this a parallel port scanner or a USB item?

The test continues...

nope i cant find any yellow circles in my device manager and this is a paraller port scanner

Device Manager/Ports
Double click for properties.
Port Settings tab-
Use any interrupt assigned to the port
Enable legacy Plug and Play detection
LPT Port Number: LPT1

I have mine set to Never use an interrupt but your BIOS may be set to control the port, not Windows.

The test continues...

sorry about the post, i mean where did you get your driver?

my scanner model is hr6, why do i get the usb version not the epp version?

Good question- same happened to me!
Maybe there is no support for the parallel scanner in XP, only the USB version.
Does your original CD have Windows 2000 drivers?
They may be your best bet.

The test continues...

Q: I can not find EPP/USB driver for Color Page HR6.
A: Both EPP and USB connection are using same file. There is an option menu after click setup.exe. EPP connection will not show “(USB)” at the end.

Guess this answers our question!
Give it a shot!

The test continues...

I dont have the cd. whats the file name of your driver?

i still get the error, scanner not found

i did everything you said and installed the driver. when i restart my comp the message "scanner not found" and after this a popop message appear " The instruction at "ox7472b6dc" referred memory at "ox747575s". the memory could not be written" what shall i do next?

Did you shut off your antivirus program before installing? If not, uninstall the scanner software, shut off your antivirus program, then try reinstalling.

The test continues...

When you are looking at problems like that you need to check the following (I do not know your level of expertise so I'll just take it from the top) .

1) Did you check for Windows updates ???
2) Have you loaded the most recent motherboard drivers ???
3) Have you got the LATEST BIOS for your motherboard ???
(Warning a bad "Flash"="BIOS Update" of your motherboard could render the board useless.)
4) Always check your manual for the correct BIOS settings for your device. (Your setting sounds reasonable , I myself use ECP+EPP nearly always )
5) Search the M.S. knowledge base with ingenuity.

I once had a similar problem with a printer on a computer and there were no way ever that I could get that printer to run on that computer.... (BIOS problem)

If your problem persists then it takes much less ressources to get a new scanner for USB port.... (An USB solution usually works in a case like that - though I cannot give a 100% guarantee in a specific case)

Regards and goodluck.

Hi Lara19 !
Just a thought.
Are you sure you have a bidirectional cable(s) .

Device that requires your PC's parallel port
to be set to EPP/ECP mode is recommended the use
of a 1284-compliant cable.
Espacially most newer printers, backup devices,
scanners, and the like require these cables.
In addition, any parallel device with an HPCN36
connector requires a 1284 cable.
If in doubt , refer the user manual of the
specific device.

To avoid problems:
Make sure that the host connection on the scanner is
connected to the PC LPT port.
And the printer connection on the scanner is connected
to printer (if you have LPT printer) .
And bios enable ECP&EPP on the LPT .

syar
Both cables 1284 commpatible.

I've seen this problem (along with others) when there are "ghost" drivers in Device Manager. You have to boot in "safe mode" and then go to Device Mangler. Any multiple driver listed is a potential problem. Also see if you have other scanner drivers listed when in safe mode. Contact me if you don't know how to get rid of "ghost" entries.

how could i get rid of the "ghost" entries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back