Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generic Text Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfer

Programmer
Jun 12, 2003
PL
Hi all!

I would be nice to prepare one report and print it both on:
-laser printer with all frames lines and fonts
-generic text printer - only with simple text lines.

I have installed a generic text only printer driver on my XPPro maschine. I use CR9.
I have prepared a small report and I try to receive a printout on this generic textprinter (the graphical printer is ok). As I see all frames and lines are left from my text-printout. And it should to be so. But I have problems with national characters. I can see only dots or I receive additional new lines in printout.

1-Do you use CR with Generic Text Printer?
2-Have You experiencied any problems with national characters?
3-Do You know any links about this CR and text printing?

Thanks in advance

Generic Text Printers don't support many fonts, sizes or styles. I doubt they would support the extended character set either.

On my training courses I recommend people avoid generic text printers as they throw too much away.

What you really want is a version of your report that prints on a laser printer, but with no fancy formatting.

A separate version of the report is the best way to do this.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

There's an extensive whitepaper on the BO website that discusses how to design reports to avoid common printer driver issues. It helped us out recently with an issue we were having with Crystal vs. XP vs. a dot matrix printer.

Here's the link if you want to check it out:
Crystal Reports: Printer Driver Dependency

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back