Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generator and Belkin 800va Line Interactive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielUK

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
GB
Hi, I have emailed Belkin about this but not sure if they'll respond.

We've just bought a generator as backup power for our small office. It's one of these:

Although it has a mechanical governor, it is equipped with AVR and is recommended for sensitive equipment e.g. PCs etc

This works fine with our online UPS in that the UPS doesn't go into standby or complain when we plug the generator cable in. However, if we plug the generator into our smaller Belkin 800va line-interactive UPSs ( they go into standby and work off the battery.

I'm wondering what the problem is here, is it that the line-interactive UPSs don't work with generators, or the power isn't clean enough?

Thanks

Dan

I ran across your post while Googling generator compatibility issues to see exaclty how many relevant articles I could find for a customer of mine.

Off-line and line-interactive UPSs are not compatible with generators due to the frequency variations inherent with a gen-set. Many UPS manufacturers fail to point this out since they do not manufacturer the only UPS topology that is compatible with a gen-set, a double-conversion on-line UPS.

KS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back