Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generation of auto number

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaidyanathanpc

Programmer
Nov 30, 2001
IN
Hi,
Is there anyway I can generate an auto number without using the 'identity' propery for a table? I don't want to the autonumber by incrementing values programatically.

Thanks in advance
P.C. Vaidyanathan

Yes. You can use triggers. But, why don't you wanna use identity?

You can maintain a seperate table to hold the last value of the key for all other tables:

NextIdentifier:
TableName varchar(255)
NextIdentifier int

Everytime you need to write row to a table you have to read this table, then .

The big problems with this are:
You always incur another read and write for every insert
Set based instructions to insert rows are difficult, because you have to increment the counter.

Personally I don't understand why identities are such a problem - I find them very convenient, though I have found duplicates in them in the past!

Howdy,

You can use Globally Unique Identifiers (GUIDs) with the default set to newid().

Like the following:
BLAH uniqueidentifier ROWGUIDCOL NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [MyConstraint] DEFAULT (newid())

When a record is inserted into the table the database will call newid() to create the default contents of BLAH. Still learning about the CONSTRAINT stuff though...

Roger Bogh

If you're afraid to have gaps in a range of id's, you can use this query to search the first available number.

ID
--

select min(id)+1 from table
where id+1 not in (select id from table)

Maybe this is what you are lokking for

Rosko

Which will return 4 in previous example.

Or you can use the RAND function (BOL) to generate your random id

GL

Rosko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back