Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generating reports in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

selavarti

Programmer
Feb 24, 2004
US
Hi,

I have not used Excel much. I wanted to know if there is this feature of Generating reports in excel using some search criteria like in MS Access. If, Yes how to do it.
I would really appreciate if some can get me the information.

Thanks
Sudha

Sudha,

Actually there are several tools that can be used for generating reports in Excel. Each has it's own advantages. I'll just list them:

Sort
AutoFilter
Advanced Filter
Subtotal Wizard
Pivot Table Wizard
Chart Wizard
External Data Query

It just depends what your source data is and what reporting requirements you have.

:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

I don't think there is a report feature similar to Access. As suggested, you can use one of the sort functions to isolate the data, but putting into a predefined format is not available (I don't think). However, you can create a Word template containing merge fields in a report format, sort your data to a new worksheet, and use the worksheet as a mail merge data source. This will give you the formatting capacity of an Access report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back