Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generating IPSec CA Certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankyway

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
CL
Hello everybody

I need to start using CA Certificates on my Cisco 3000 Concentrator as a client equipment cannot authenticate using group authentication.
Up to now I have only used pre shared keys so I am totally unfamiliar with certificates although I have read up on them and understand the concept etc.
I apparently need a CA(ROOT) Certificate to validate anything that comes after,
My questions are: Can this be generated by me? or do I need to enrol in Entrust, Verisign etc, and how? (to both)
Is there cost(approx how much?) involved in commercially gained CA's?

Any information would be extremely helpful to me at this time

Many Thanks

Do you have an internal CA? If so, is it Microsoft? If so, you need to add the MSCEP extension to the CA so you can issue SCEP certificate to the router/concentrator.

- Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03; MCSA:Security03
MCSA:Messaging00; MCP; A+
IT Pangaea (

I Guess the answer is no!, we do not have an internal CA. The IT guys have looked at Certificate Authority on their workstations which tells them it is not an installed service.
Is there a way I can bootleg one as it is for one VPN Group only?

lol

then your IT guys are idiots.....if they are truly looking at workstations for evidence of a CA...be scared, be very scared....

Yea, first things first though...there is no such thing as an "IPSec CA" certificate...there are CA certs, and there are IPSec certs..hell there are even CAs that can only issue IPSec certs...but they are not one and the same :)

Basically, cert svcs is free...so all you need is a server to run it on really. Afterwards, its located in add/remove programs|add/remove windows components
it does require IIS and asp.net also be installed (which can also be found in add/remove windows components)

If you dont have experience with CAs though, you are unlikely to get this to work the first time around...and based on what you said about your "IT guys", I doubt they know either....

- Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03; MCSA:Security03
MCSA:Messaging00; MCP; A+
IT Pangaea (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back