Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generating editable Lotus Notes email with user signature

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCBuckeye

Programmer
Apr 3, 2012
US
First off... Virgin post. :)

Next. Okay, so I tried to put it all in the title. I'm currently creating a database that will help to automate follow up emails. The user will select fields, and upon completion, click a button that will save the record and generate an email in Lotus Notes. All of this information is coming from one single form and storing to one single table.

Currently, some code I found on here courtesy of jmeadows7 is working great at creating and sending the email. However, here are my main problems with said code:

1) The "Memo" that is created is a completely clean memo. It doesn't use the user's preferences to generate the document. This means it lacks the signature of the user, as well as any other text (in the nature of our work, its common to have confidentiality notices) that they have set to be sent in every email. There will be multiple users, so using a file path to select an attachment/rtf isn't an option.

2) The email sends without opening. That is where we will eventually take it I would assume, but while in the development process, I would like the generated email to be user sent so it can reviewed before sending.

I have explored using a Macro that feeds from a temporary query/report, but the emails need to be personal, which is easier to do with VB coding. Maybe a combination is the answer?

Lotus Notes is the company wide email program, so it will always be open and set as the default mail client.

Let me know if there is something else you need to know. Here is the code I'm currently using (apologize for the eye sore, haven't cleaned it up yet):

Code:
'Generate Email
    Dim Maildb As Object 'The mail database
    Dim UserName As String 'The current users notes name
    Dim MailDbName As String 'THe current users notes mail database name
    Dim MailDoc As Object 'The mail document itself
    Dim Session As Object 'The notes session
    Dim BodyText As String
    'Start a session to notes
    Set Session = CreateObject("Notes.NotesSession")
    'Get the sessions username and then calculate the mail file name
    'You may or may not need this as for MailDBname with some systems you
    'can pass an empty string
    UserName = Session.UserName
    MailDbName = Left$(UserName, 1) & Right$(UserName, (Len(UserName) - InStr(1, UserName, " "))) & ".nsf"
    'Open the mail database in notes
    Set Maildb = Session.GETDATABASE("", MailDbName)
    If Maildb.ISOPEN = True Then
          'Already open for mail
        Else
         Maildb.OPENMAIL
    End If

'Body of email. Chr(13) Starts new line. Chr(45) is hyphen. Chr(149) is bullet.

BodyText = "The following have outstanding requirements: " & Chr(13) & Chr(13)
    BodyText = BodyText & Chr(9) & Me.LABEL.Value & " " & Chr(45) & " " & Me.LABEL.Value & Chr(13)

'Determine how many missing items there are and list them as bullets

If IsNull(Me.MissingItem2.Value) = True Then
        BodyText = BodyText & Chr(9) & Chr(9) & Chr(149) & " " & Me.MissingItem1.Value & Chr(13)
        ElseIf IsNull(Me.MissingItem3.Value) = True Then
        BodyText = BodyText & Chr(9) & Chr(9) & Chr(149) & " " & Me.MissingItem1.Value & Chr(13)
        BodyText = BodyText & Chr(9) & Chr(9) & Chr(149) & " " & Me.MissingItem2.Value & Chr(13)
        Else
        BodyText = BodyText & Chr(9) & Chr(9) & Chr(149) & " " & Me.MissingItem2.Value & Chr(13)
        BodyText = BodyText & Chr(9) & Chr(9) & Chr(149) & " " & Me.MissingItem3.Value & Chr(13)
    End If
    BodyText = BodyText & Chr(9) & "Thanks!"

'Set up the new mail document
    Set MailDoc = Maildb.CREATEDOCUMENT
    MailDoc.Form = "Memo"
    MailDoc.sendto = "Email Address Here"
    MailDoc.Subject = Subject
    MailDoc.Body = BodyText
    MailDoc.SAVEMESSAGEONSEND = SaveIt

'Send the document
    MailDoc.PostedDate = Now() 'Gets the mail to appear in the sent items folder
    MailDoc.SEND 0, Recipient
    'Clean Up
    Set Maildb = Nothing
    Set MailDoc = Nothing
    Set Session = Nothing

and finally the original thread I jacked it from:

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back