Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generating account numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkroyal

Technical User
Jan 15, 2004
GB
We use an account number that consists of 3 different elements.

1)A four leter code that indicates the type of account (these are finite and so are listed in their own table)
2)A 3 digit number (has leading zero's)
3)A text code that is used as a booking code (this is a code generated from the clients trading name and so is generated from contact details).

I would like too know if anyone can tell me a way of generating the 3 digit number. I need to be able to use leading zero's so I don't think I can use autonumber but this generation dose need to be automatic with no duplicates.

I then need a way of bringing all three of these elements together and storing the result in the client account table.

Can anyone help? I did see an article somewher on autonumber without autonumber but I can't find it now.

Thanks

What is the rule about the three digit number? Can numbers be re-used for different Account types and for different booking codes? I assume so otherwise after 1000 goes you will have run out of numbers.

I think you are going to have to do a select to find the highest 3 digit number where Fourlettercode = XXXX and textcode = YYYYYY. Then issue the next number.

Thanks

Yes the numbers can be re-used for different account types, that gives me a total of 999 accounts for each type, 8000 possible over half of them corporate (some of our large corporate's have .............. at an avg..... I've just run the numbers, if I ever reach even half capacity I'm off to the Sun ---- 4 good and it's someone else’s prob.

I would change this system but we have hundreds of accounts already registered so I would have to issue each account with a new number --- Nightmare!

So, If I've caught your train of thought ... list number as text (to allow the leading zero's) run a query to find highest number for account type and add 1. Ok I can live with that 'cause I can fire the query in the background on an event linked to the list for picking the account type.

But I still then need to combine the result of the account type, this query and the booking code then enter all that as one field in a table. How would I achieve this?

Pete

Lets say your ids are like BARG078ORACPA. You can do a select that picks out the 078 substring, converts it to a number and then you get the MAX of it. Your new number is 79 so you create a string BARG+079+ORACPA. What function converts number to text with leading zeros, you'll have to look up because Access help doesn't make it easy fo me to spot quickly.

Yes thanks I think I get the idea.

Thanks for your help. I'll go and read up in help now I know what to look for

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back