Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generating a report - some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmj39

Programmer
Nov 12, 2008
AT
I want to know if that is possible with crystal reports OR if crystal reports is not the best program for this.

I have a front end (c#) that communicates with an sql server. now a user can generate a report which means he selects the data he wants to see and then click on "generate". after that crystal reports should automatically pop up and show the diagrams of the dataset.

thx for your advices.

You can have SQL commands within a Crystal report - just how depends on your version.

For C10, you can add parameters to the SQL and these are treated as Crystal parameters.

I'm not sure what you mean by "diagrams of the dataset". Sound like it is outside Crystal's functions.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Thx Madawc.

So can my application start cr10 and transfer the data sets automatically to it so that cr10 can display it. This is meant when i wrote "diagrams of dataset" - The value of the datasets are displayed by cr10 (in this case as chart).

This shows how it works: (Just the Application communicates with CR10)
SERVER <-> Application -> CR10

You can paste SQL commands into Crystal. Open [Database Expert]. Choose the database you want the date to come from. Choose [Add Command]. Paste in the SQL. Expect a delay, because it insists on fetching the data before allowing you to go any further.

You can also add parameters to the SQL. Best done after you have pasted it, and save that version as a back-up because things can go wrong.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back