Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generate pages based on quantity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCL2007

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2007
US
Hello,
I was just looking for some general ideas. I have an existing report that is a report of a work order in our system with work order info in the header and a listing of process steps (1,2,3,4,5,etc). We are looking for a report for each individual piece... (for example if the work order were for 20 pieces, we'd want 20 copies of the report created with some counter in the report identifying which 'copy' up to 20 or whatever the Work order quantity would be...
Just looking for how you all might approach something like this..

HI,

Usually this is done in the Order Release step of Work Order Management systems. This would be defined by an Order Policy, that indicates how orders are to be released. It might be one Work Order for 20 (for small parts), 5 Work Orders of 4 (for medium sized parts) or 20 Work Orders of 1 (for major assemblies), for instance, each Work Order having a unique Work Order ID.

This is a very specialized "reporting" system, as there is a lot more logic than you would find in a report generator like CR. It is sliver of an MRP (manufacturing requirements planning) system of some flavor. Does you company not have such a system to manage the process?

What say you?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Yes, we have an ERP system, just struggling for a way to handle this using the fields provided by the system. If the Work Order were for 25 pieces, we'd like to print 25 copies of that Work Order, with some numbering system designator like WO#-1, WO#-2, WO#-3, up to WO#-25. The work order number will be the same, we just need the report to print and be designated separately for tracking purposes.

But is not your ERP system capable of printing 20 separate orders, each to travel with individual pieces during the manufacturing process? If your ERP system is printing ONE Order, it expects the 20 pieces to ALL be completed in each operation step before the Order travels to the next operation step.

Skip,
[sub]

Thanks Skip, but this request is coming from a consultant of the ERP company working with us.. For this particular issue, they need a single WO, but separate paperwork for each unit (and an identifier).. They were hoping to be able to do this thru Crystal, while keeping the single WO and not creating a lot for each unit on the system, which is basically what is happening.

Well here's my concern: your ERP system indicates that the order is at one place, but in reality, the order has been fragmented, with ABSOLUTELY NO INDICATION WHERE THE PIECES IN THE ORDER ARE ALL LOCATED, which could be located all over the shop, and not just for one order but for many orders. This is a recipe for utter chaos!

Skip,
[sub]

There is a method for doing this. It usually involves forcing 'table inflation'. This article describes the technique(look at the second option):

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back