Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Windows Server Datacenter/Standard Licensing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello all,
So according to MS page, if you are going to run HyperV on either, you are allowed only 2 VMs per Standard License and unlimited on Enterprise. Is this two live VMs or does that count replica VMs as well? Trying to be compliant but if I can install Standard on my replica servers instead of enterprise, that would save some cash. I see that you can have unlimited containers in either flavor but VMs it seems to draw the line. Anyone know the exact stance MS has on this? Or is it if you get audited and you are running Standard with 5 live VMs on it they would tell you to upgrade?
Thanks for reading.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

For anyone following this or referencing this at a later time, I have 2019 Standard installed with 5 VMs all actively running on a test server. Assuming that means you can have more than the allowed 2 VMs but if we were to be audited, MS would make us upgrade to Enterprise. We are getting in direct contact with MS and am going to ask this direct question to make sure we are within the scope of our licensing and will update this post with their information.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back