Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General VB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

1SorryDog

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
US
I have an app that runs on a server which use's some ORACLE API calls. I have made some changes to one of the api calls, re-compiled the app and put on server. Now, app gives error message in which I'm sure is related to the api changes that I made. The app runs fine in vb6's ide but not after it's compiled.

My question is: Are api calls or modules not included into your compiled .exe file ? Or do I just need to make an new install for it and install again on the server ????

Your help is always appreciated. Thanks...

Can you show us the original calls and the modified calls?

The question is not clear, but with given data, i'll say, check the datatypes of API Parameters. Check the old one, compare it with the new one.. is there an '&' missing somewhere at the end of each parameters in the declares? Pls try this. Check SendMessage API if u r using it.

All The Best Praveen Menon
pcmin@rediffmail.com

It sounds like you replaced the exe on the server without un- and re-installing it, This could be the cause of things. Depending on what resources your progamm uses a new installation may be nessecary.

Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions!

As merlinx suspected, I didn't do a re-install. I have now un-installed it from the server and re-installed. It seems to be worked fine for now. Will wait until our user's start using it and see. The original api had two date values that are optional and were empty. I now populate the date values. I just didn't think that much of a minor change would need a re-install, just the new exe file.

What error message? You may have pointed me to part of my problem. Although I really don't want to have to require my users to have to reinstall (going from VB4 to VB6) as their databases are over 600Meg and unique to each location. Why should they have to reinstall? What steps can I take to prevent the necessity to reinstall? Should I submit this as a separate question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back