Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Use question summit x450a-48t

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingmoocow2

Technical User
Nov 1, 2013
US
Zero experience with Extreme until now, however, I just acquired a used x450a -- didn't have the password, but through some posts on here I've learned how to get in and wipe the config out and start fresh -- good deal there. testing it in my lab environment now before trying to use it for anything.

What I can't quite figure out is the boot-time. It seems to take a long time to boot completely.
from reboot it only takes about 90 sec to get to a point where it's saying:
pending-AAA) login:
after another 3 minutes it then says
Authentication Service (AAA) on the master node is now available for login.
and it starts passing traffic -- then another 20-30 sec, the switch itself starts pinging.

Shooting in the dark, I figured maybe it's trying to look for stack members (there are none); I have it set to be the master.

Is it normal for these guys to take about 4-5 minutes to boot, or is there anything I can do to shave off some time? Knowing what I should be expecting will help me a lot here.

Thanks,

If it was a member of a stack then it might be waiting for other members to appear.
What is the port numbering like? i.e. do you ports appear like 1:1, 1:2 etc or just 1, 2? If its the first then it thinks its stacked. You can disable stacking with the command 'disable stacking' or a complete wipe with 'unconfigure switch all' - reboot after either command.
I have an X250e-24p and although its a single switch it is configured for stacking and running the latest 15.3 XOS it boots in about 2-minutes I think? - never really timed it?

Andy

aha, disable is what I was missing. I'm used to Cisco IOS. Disabled the stack, and now it boots in 2.5 minutes; that's a significant improvement.

It still sits at the AAA prompt for a few seconds though, but not 2-3 minutes like before.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back