Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Reporting Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

dBjason

Programmer
Mar 25, 2005
US
Hi All,

I'm still relatively new with the .NET framework, and am hoping I can get a little direction from you guys.

I've inherited an old VB6 reporting application which I must maintain until a (new) version is ready to roll out.

As part of my 'project', I am also supposed to be thinking of ways to convert the app to the .NET framework. Right now we have Visual Studio 2008 to develop with. As the program was originally written in VB6, I plan to create the front-end as a Windows Forms Application to keep the 'look and feel' the same for our users.

My hitch is, of course, the reporting end of it. The current app is really nothing more than a spaghettified report engine. We've been using ActiveReports to generate documentation which gets mailed to our clients. Our business rules are numerous (to say the least) and each report has a large number of variables (most reports are letters of some sort to our clients - each one is customized with acct numbers, names, even footers must be customized for each child company we have).

Many of these letters/reports have variable information which must be placed in the middle of paragraphs. The existing app is a dandy; and we're looking to upgrade soon.

So my question is: What would be my best reporting option, given the information above? VS ships both its own reporting tool as well as Crystal. Beings I have such a high level of report customization, should I run with Crystal or give the MS reporting tool a shot? Or should I look into 3rd party software more suited for our needs?

Any kind of a heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Jason

Jason,
I am about to give you some information but please, please factor the following into my recommendations (as limited as they are)

-I am a profession developer with 25+ years experience (good), but while I have been working with .Net for 5+ years I am not a report expert (Bad)

-I have tried several different reporting techniques (Good), but I have not found one that I am happy with (bad)

-The advice I am giving is what I would do today, not saying is the best answer, and I reserve the right to change my mind as I learn more.

Ok here is my actual feedback:

If the application needs to product ‘listing’ reports e.g. columns of information then I would use the built in Crystal (light) reporter. IMO the Crystal (light) reporter is the biggest pile of frustrations, other than all of the other report programs.

If the App needs to product reports with lots of text, e.g. paragraphs I would try the built in .net report program. (Try but may switch back to crystal. I have a love-hate relationship with crystal )

If Graphs, pictures, other non-text graphics are a big part I would look into 3rd party tools such as Telerik.

I wish someone would pay me a boat load of money to try out say 10 possible solutions for reporting so I could really determine which solution is the best for a given reporting need, no such luck so far. So while I have tried a number of solutions (an hour of two of effort, not really enough time to give them a real fair test.) I return to Crystal for most application (because most of my apps need listing reports. )

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

Most of your reports are letters. So, I'm thinking you use MS Word to set up templates. Are you printing one letter at a time or a batch of them?

If one at a time, I would open the template in .NET, fill in the bookmarked fields and print it.

For batches I write the letters data to a SQL Server database table and use that in mail merge. It becomes a two step process for the user but most Word users understand mail merge or can be taught.

For reports other than letters, I use the built-in SSRS report designer. This is handy if you want the user to print the report from the application.

I have never used Crystal and came up to speed pretty fast on SSRS. I am not a report designer but SSRS does a decent job for most report requirements.

@MrDataGuy,

Have you done anything to protect a Crystal Report? I am working on an app and it has a report but I don't want the user to be able to modify it.

Thanks!

protect a Crystal Report". No in fact since I do custom development I want my clients to have all of the code, and be able to modify the reports when they want. Of course so far they just come back to me and ask for changes, and I bill them.

If protection is a need then I have no answers. (Thou for all I know it is just a simple setting someplace to add protection.)

Are you sure that you do not want to allow the end users to modify the reports thou? It is a feature, even for a resale product. You/the application still control what information is possible on the report the end user can only reduce, summirize, etc. I am sure that there are situations that having end user not being able to modify reports is critical ( and yours may well be one ) but for most situations end user modifications are fine. (Of course helping/supporting them when they screw up the report is another subject.)

Lion Crest Software Services
Anthony L. Testi
President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back