Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Registry Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamChamberlin

Programmer
Feb 17, 2001
US
Anyone want to tell me why so many programs and programmers us the registry and not a local INI? I can see saving information like your programs path in the reg but I don't see why programs keep everything there. Would it not make more sense and keep the reg cleaner if only things that needed to be global where stored there? The only thing I can think of is the path to your program. I think if a program will not run after a full reinstall of windows its keeping to much info in the reg. But thats me. Anyone here want to give me some input on this issue?

Hi,
A very basic thing about use of registry for programs is that when a prg is registered in the registry it is available to any process or any other program that wants to use it. In case of COM and DCOM the components are registered and then can be used by any program which wants that components and its like any program on any machine can access that component/ dll/ executable/ once it has the path in the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back